ExpressionEngine - Pros & Cons
ExpressionEngine is a perfect solution for any small business that needs a simple marketing website, or a complex enterprise level organisation that needs lots of technical content. ExpressionEngine can serve both purposes well. And a good website designer or developer can build in optimised simplicity to the administrative interface.
ExpressionEngine up to October 2018 was a commercially available solution not any more, it's now free open-source. With a stellar reputation for security, ease of use and design flexibility it's a great solution that decreases development costs and is easily superior competitor to WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal.
- Great solution for simple or very complicated site requirements
- Easy to use for non-technical personnel, minimal html knowledge required
- Not a cookie cutter solution, no design restrictions
- Each publish page can be different and is based on a fill-in-the-blanks structure that can incorporate good SEO requirements
- The CMS system is run on PHP, but pages are written in HTML
- Because pages are HTML based, it integrates easily with other development processes
- Excellent security track record
- Supported by a well developed user community
- Can handle high traffic
- Stable system
- Installation process is not yet automated
- Upgrading from previous versions is a chore until you get to V4 and V5
- Most add-ons must be purchased, but are well supported
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.