It's widely believed that links to content on social networks play a pivotal role in shaping a website's credibility, especially in relation to targeted keyword phrases. However, navigating the realm of social media requires strategic choices – not all networks are suited for every business, and misallocation of resources can lead to wasted time and money.
Social Network Relevance (+)
Relevance is paramount in social media. Posts should align with your brand and resonate with your audience. Success in social networks involves a reciprocal relationship – be followed, follow others, like, and share content.
Social Network Profiles (+)
Social Network Profiles hold significant SEO rank for most brands. Their up-to-date nature and rich information about the company contribute to their prominence. Ensure your profiles reflect your brand accurately.
Building a Following (+)
The number of followers and connections on your social media profiles may influence ranking. Building a substantial following enhances your web presence and quickly grows your audience.
Keep it Alive (+)
Search engines favour social media, particularly platforms with fresh, high-quality content. Regular posts with a clear purpose are key. Capture events, share pictures, and maintain a relevant and engaging presence.
Engagement metrics like likes, shared links, posts, favourites, replies, and retweets contribute to increased authority. However, not all social networks are treated equally; prioritize platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
Social Media Pages (+)
Social media pages adhere to SEO rules similar to websites and often outrank many company home pages. Utilize these pages to drive traffic back to your website, boosting activity and associated ranking factors.
Open Graph Protocol (+)
Originally introduced by Facebook, the Open Graph Protocol enhances integration between Facebook and other websites. Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+ have also adopted Open Graph tags. While search engine algorithms remain undisclosed, implementing the Open Graph Protocol can potentially earn SEO points.
Effort required to maintain social media for SEO
Implementing and maintaining a social media program for the purpose of improving SEO requires a strategic and ongoing effort. Here are key aspects to consider.
1. Content Strategy
- Creation: Develop a consistent content strategy that aligns with your brand and resonates with your target audience. Create high-quality, shareable content that encourages engagement.
- Variety: Diversify your content types, including text, images, videos, and infographics. Experiment with different formats to keep your audience engaged.
2. Platform Selection
- Relevance: Choose social media platforms that are relevant to your business and target audience. Focus on platforms where your audience is most active.
- Consistency: Maintain a consistent presence on selected platforms. Regularly update profiles with accurate information and engaging content.
3. Engagement and Interaction
- Respond promptly: Engage with your audience by responding to comments, messages, and mentions promptly. Foster a sense of community by actively participating in discussions.
- User-generated content: Encourage user-generated content and interactions. User-generated content can enhance your online presence and credibility.
4. Building a Following
- Organic Growth: Aim for organic growth by providing value to your audience. Avoid tactics that might lead to a surge in followers without genuine engagement.
- Promotions and Contests: Occasionally run promotions or contests to attract attention and grow your follower base.
5. Analytics and Monitoring
- Analytics Tools: Utilize analytics tools provided by social media platforms to track the performance of your content and campaigns. Analyze metrics such as likes, shares, comments, and click-through rates.
- Monitoring Mentions: Monitor social media for brand mentions and industry trends. Respond to mentions and stay informed about conversations related to your business.
6. Open Graph Protocol Implementation
- Integration: If applicable, integrate the Open Graph Protocol into your website to enhance the presentation of shared content on social media platforms.
- Optimization: Optimize Open Graph meta tags for improved visibility and click-through rates.
7. Consistent Branding
- Visual Consistency: Maintain visual consistency across social media profiles. Use consistent branding elements, including logos, colours, and imagery.
- Profile Optimization: Optimize social media profiles with relevant keywords and accurate business information.
8. Adaptability and Updates
- Algorithm Changes: Stay informed about algorithm changes on social media platforms. Adapt your strategy to leverage new features and algorithms.
- Regular Updates: Regularly update your social media strategy based on the performance of content, changes in trends, and evolving audience preferences.
9. Resource Allocation
- Dedicated Team or Individual: Depending on the scale, consider allocating dedicated resources, either in-house or through outsourcing, to manage and monitor your social media efforts.
- Budget Considerations: Allocate a budget for paid promotions or advertising on social media platforms, if deemed beneficial.
10. Performance Evaluation
- Regular Assessments: Conduct regular assessments of your social media program's performance in terms of SEO impact. Adjust strategies based on the outcomes and evolving SEO goals.
A strategic social media presence can significantly impact your website's credibility and SEO. Thoughtfully implementing practices like maintaining relevance, building a following, and leveraging Open Graph Protocol can elevate your web presence and contribute to sustained SEO success.
Implementing and maintaining a social media program for SEO improvement requires a long-term commitment, adaptability, and a thorough understanding of your audience and industry trends. Regular assessments and adjustments to your strategy are essential for sustained success.